My first three weeks had been stupidly productive. By the time the last week and three days came around, I was way ahead of where I thought I would be. At the end of week three I had very nearly completed my first draft! I was just under 3,000 words away from the 50,000 word goal.
On the Monday of the new week I found myself procrastinating finishing it. I was terrified that I wouldn’t have enough words – having overestimated what I’d written in the first three days had me worried that I was actually behind my word count. I was worried that if I finished it where it needed to be finished, there wouldn’t be enough words there to call it a proper novel.
Tuesday I finally finished the first draft! I had done it – I’d completed NaNoWriMo! This is absolutely amazing – I never thought I’d be able to do this. This is something I’ve wanted to try to complete for a while now, and the past two failed attempts made me think it impossible. But it was possible – I just needed to make myself sit down every day and WRITE.
It was easier to focus on the 1,667 daily word target than think about the overall 50,000. The completed novel was a far more daunting challenge than the smaller daily word count, and these smaller, manageable bites made it all doable. I just can’t believe I’ve finally managed to do it! I am definitely getting a winner’s shirt for my vanity!
My finishing total is 50,433 words, and I have proven to myself that my first novel wasn’t a fluke. I can do this.
I AM SO SMUG RIGHT NOW.